Monday, April 12, 2010

The Adventures of a Light Sleeper

When I was young I had a bed wetting problem. This is something I certainly hope my son doesn't inherit. My problem was that I would sleep too deeply and my body wouldn't wake me up in time. For years this was an issue until my parents found the solution. A little buzzer would sound like a freight train next to my ear if a sensor on my undies got wet. I learned pretty quickly to sleep much lighter and this has become the newest issue.

Its great for security around the house and it will come in handy when Harrison starts crying in the middle of the night. However, the smallest noise can wake me up, so we have fans going at night to help fight off the inconsequentials that happen throughout the morning hours. This does not include my wife's newly discovered snoring.

Now, to be fair, its not that bad. She's not sawing logs like a lumberjack. Instead she lightly snores, just enough to keep me up ALL NIGHT! At first I fought the urge to run screaming into the night. I would tap her arm or jiggle the bed and that would turn her over. Not the case anymore as its become a constant thing. Plus anyone who knows Steph around sleepy time can confirm that she's a bit crabby when woken up. Sorry Steph, but it had to be said! (I'm in trouble now.)

My boyscout training kicked in one night when I couldn't stand it anymore. I ran downstairs, grabbed my gear, and set up camp in the computer room. I'm sure most of you are picturing a tent with a full blown campfire. Actually, its just my sleeping bag and a tiny air mattress I use when hiking.

I felt bad. I felt like I had abandoned my wife to a lonely bed and I think she may have felt the same way. Then Kirsten saved my life. Thank you by the way! She mentioned how the same had happened with her and the results were the same. Since then Steph has been a little more "okay" with the floor sleeping.

The moral of this whole tale is thus... the snoring is a little off-putting, but the alternative is a 33 year old bed wetter. I think we've chosen well.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Mark, I love you so much. What a wonderful daddy you will be. Now you know how much I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could of service. ;)
    I think you two are off to a great start.
    Thanks for sharing your journey. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and Mark,
    I was a heavy sleeper/bed-wetter myself. Now, I didn't have any fancy sensor in my underwear, but my parents did tape an alarm clock onto my headboard that woke my up at midnight to go to the bathroom. Funny stuff. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete