Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A bump in the night

So it finally happened! I finally felt little baby Harrison kick...or nudge...or whatever you want to call it. He moved and he's finally big enough or active enough for me to know about it.

It happened all last week (which was 23 weeks or 5 1/2 months on the preggers timeline) but I'm logical and cautious so I waited to make sure I was really feeling the baby and not just blogging about gas to all my friends! When it first happened I was laying on the couch relaxing and all of a sudden felt a weird double pop sensation or poking feeling below my belly button on the right hand side of my big ol' tum tum. It was so strange and foreign that at first I really couldn't believe that that would be what 'the baby moving' felt like. Everyone kept saying that 'it feels like butterflies' so of course I was sitting around waiting for some fluttering feeling. I didn't expect to be prodded from the inside. So, all the rest of the week I'd get home from work and lay down to relax...and would wait. The first few days it would sporadically happen once or so during the night so I felt like I wasn't still totally sure of what was going on (always the skeptic eh Steph). Well then the next few nights I was really determined to figure it out; so I'd sit on the couch with my hands where I kept feeling movement and would yell over to Mark to come feel whenever something 'swishy' or 'prodding' would happen. Harrison at first was pretty elusive and hard to catch but as the week rolled by he seemed to become more and more active. Last night I was even able to grab Mark at the right moment and he felt the baby move too. It's pretty cool and surreal at the same time. To think at this point the baby is somewhere between 1-3 pounds and just rolling around in his little watery home (that within itself is foreign and weird).

So now, it's like Harrison knows that we know and has stopped playing his elusive game of poke and hide...he's active now even during the day at random times. I've had some strange moments in meetings at work where he's just randomly awake or is sleep-jabbing me.

Like I said, it's definitely pretty cool but still so strange. At first, I really had no idea what was going on and now that I'm familiar with how it feels, it's like I have this heightened awareness and feel it so much more. It will be interesting to see his little personality continue to develop and hopefully all the kicking and prodding isn't ever so out of hand that I'm a walking freak show at work...but oh well, we'll soon enough find out!

1 comment:

  1. It is the most wonderful feeling until they jump on your bladder. We love you, Nana & PaPaw

    ReplyDelete